Thursday, February 25, 2010

Recollection

Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us

Bathtime, 7 pm.

"Mom, do you remember the heart wires?"
     "Heart wires? You mean the heart wires in the hospital?"


"Yeah, you held them while I went potty. They were here, and here and here on me."
     "Yes, I remember. It was hard to go potty with them on."


"I didn't like them. I took them off myself, all by myself. The doctor told me I could."
     "Oh G, I do remember that. You were so brave to take them off yourself."


"I mean, I liked the hospital, the playroom and the presents. That I liked. I just, you know, didn't like the other parts. You know what I didn't like?"
     "What, what parts didn't you like?"


"Well, the shots. The nurse who woke me up at night. Crying, I didn't like crying a lot. I didn't like when you cried. That made me upset. I was upset when you cried Mom."
     "I did cry, you're right. I was upset that you had diabetes. Mommy and Daddy love you and didn't want you to have diabetes. I remember crying."


"You didn't have to cry. It was ok. It was ok that I got diabetes. I mean, it's ok."
     "I'm trying to be ok with it G. It's hard for mommy to be ok with it sometimes."


"Yeah, I know, but you should know that I am ok with diabetes. I mean, I didn't die. I was worried I was gonna die, but I didn't. That should make you ok with it."
     "So G, I'll remember that next time I am not ok with diabetes, that you didn't die and are ok with it?"


"Yep."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww :) so sweet!

Hallie Addington said...

I'm crying. SO sweet. They remember, too. I love it. And I'm trying to be ok with it, too.

Meri said...

I'm glad you wrote down this sweet conversation. So you'll always remember it.
:)

k2 said...

I LOVE THAT KID!
Kelly K

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

What a "keeper" of a conversation. she is a sweetheart.