Monday, June 27, 2011

Gourmet Dinner for Diabetes and We're All Invited!!!

This appeared in The Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday and today. It definitely caught my eye.



You will get a gourmet dinner ( I wonder if they will give a carb count?!!!!!)

Then you can listen to dear old doctor talk about how you too can know the secrets behind how to literally reverse your diabetes, reduce your needs and of course, your dependence (kind of a cutting and little demeaning, imagine having to DEPEND on something!) and realize your true potential of becoming a non-diabetic. All the possibilities in one little seminar!



This local doctor is at an Health Center. She is the sole doctor there. She labels herself the 'Senior Clinic Director' but with no other  doctor staff working with you, I guess you can label yourself anything you want. Hey, I'm President! How about them apples!

I am a fan of integrative medicine, I believe it all works together, mind, body and spirit. I also believe there are natural ways of healing various and sundry illnesses. I also believe in science.

It seems this doctor wants to reverse diabetes in only the Type 2s. Darn it! I'm a little more than put off by her declarations that somehow, Type 2s who do use medications are failures, for lack of a better word. She does want all the Type 2s to 'overcome their condition naturally!' Must be the hidden secrets she plans to reveal at the dinner.



Check out her opinions of the difference between Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes.





 I disagree with her use of the word 'congenital' and just to make sure I really understood the word, I looked it up. Here it is:


con·gen·i·tal

  [kuhn-jen-i-tl]  Show IPA
–adjective
1.
of or pertaining to a condition present at birth, whether inherited or caused by the environment, especially the uterine environment.



I understand that Grace was pre-destined to acquire Type 1. There was something in her genetics that led us to age 6, being diagnosed with Type 1. There was something that triggered it into action. Something that literally tipped us into Type 1. Or broke the camel's back, if you like that saying more. But was she born with Type 1? No. Some children are. She was born with the predisposition to it, but congenital? Hmmm... I do disagree with the use of the word 'congenital' when talking about the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. I have never heard anyone, including doctors of all kinds, define the difference using that word. It's striking, her use of that word. Almost like, those Type 1s, they were born with it, nothing they could do about it, whereas you, you Type 2s, you can OVERCOME your condition and achieve being non-diabetic. The whole language of it doesn't sit well with me.

My favorite video she has on her website, however, is the one where she explains 'What is Diabetes?' and you have to watch her expression, cause I think she's a bit unsure of herself as she comes to the end, when she states the person is not 'modulating the hormone, insulin, correctly.' It's about :59 to 1:01 on the video. You almost see the thought bubble of 'What did I just say? Am I sure?' It gave me a chuckle.





Anyway, friends, looks like we are invited to a gourmet dinner, but alas, I think I shall sit this one out.

7 comments:

Hallie Addington said...

I don't know, Penny... Why don't we all go? Sit there in the audience, maybe with our children and all their various paraphernalia ... And smile and nod. And then ask her some questions. Lots of questions. Could be entertaining!

*sigh*

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

UGH!
First of all, who put the wiggly worm in a swivel chair?
Secondly, who thought a hair toss in the middle of a 'serious' medical Q&A was a good idea?
Thirdly, who the hell is she to say that my uterus caused Bean's T1? Really?!?
I have issues on so many levels with this whole thing...alas it would be way too long of a drive to go eat her lovely meal! ;)

Oh, and fourthly...what is it with not being able to add "Type 2" to stuff like this? UGH!

The DL said...

hahah I don't even know what to say!!!!

Joanne said...

I'm with Hallie... we should all go and heckle her from the audience. I wish I could watch the videos, but I still haven't unpacked our speakers yet.

Thanks for the laugh!

Meri said...

Oh my goodness! This lady is a total nutjob. What in the world was she saying???? Congenital?

We have a word for her in German...
Idiot.
Wait.
That is the same in English too.

What about Dum Koph?

Yeah...that's it!

Unknown said...

She clearly has no clue. What distrubs me more is that she is trying to throw around jargon sounding like she does, but her facial expressions and body language conveys a totally different message. Sadly, some people may actually pay her for help...OY.

Jules said...

I am with Hallie too! I'd fly over for the total laugh of us all turning up for a free meal with our kids and their kits and then when asked if we have any questions reaching into our bags to bring out reams and reams of paper! She would do well to live with a family with a Type 1 child for a month and then continue with her work for Type 2 diabetics. She's just jumping on a lucrative bandwagon.