Thursday, July 8, 2010

Meet-up

While we are on vacation I gave Kelly a call to see if we could get together and finally meet face to face. I wanted to actually meet her and I really wanted Grace to meet her. Kelly was all for it and hopped in her car and drove on over to meet us. I cannot tell you how delighted I was.

Can I tell you how fabulous Kelly is? She is smart, funny, warm, genuine, cut-the-crap honest and a hoot to boot. Grace fell in some serious 'like' with her. They chatted,  laughed, they teased each other and underneath it all, they found a connection that two T1s can have, no matter what the age difference.

When Grace was first diagnosed, I went online and tried to find information. You know, the Google-race to see how much one can digest before one wants to literally throw up on the computer, then throw the computer out the window. That kind of information. I found tons about Type 1. Information that is.

Then I found Diabetesaliciousness. I read every blog she wrote. I laughed, I cried, I thought about my gal. I sent Kelly a one year Diaversary card, to thank her for helping me on this journey. She did, she just never knew how much. Maybe she still doesn't. It's hard to tell someone that they saved part of your life.

Here was a T1 woman who was strong, confident, healthy, taking it all in stride, humorous and was living her life with T1 and saying that if you were T1, you should too. It was all I wanted for Grace. I wanted to envision her grown, and strong, and confident and healthy and taking it all in stride and living her life. Kelly became part of my vision for Grace. The hell with the naysayers and the cure basket people and the ones who say she 'can't' and 'won't' - here she was. Literal proof that we could get there.

Kelly is all that.
Grace is, and can be, all that too.
I have proof.

11 comments:

Cara said...

Aw! Kelly is wonderful, isn't she? She is such a blessing to so many of us. :)

Anonymous said...

This is about as awesome as it comes, right here. Yes, Kelly is awesome and inspires so many people! Thank you for sharing those details about the wonderful meetup, Penny.

Meri said...

How awesome was that to meet the wonderful Kelly? I'm so happy for Grace! Role models are so important!

Karen said...

I met up with Kelly when I was on vacation a few weeks ago!!! She is a graceful and inspiring person and a wonderful friend. I'm so glad to here you and Grace got to have some fun with her too. She certainly seems to be her very own vacation hot-spot. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely! That is an awesome story! Yay Grace! Yay Kelly! Yay mom!

Jules said...

This was clearly such a great thing for Grace and her lovely face says it all in the photo you posted. I know how much I need the support of othr D-parents and can only imagine how important it is for Grace and all diabetic children to meet such positive role models.

LaLa said...

That is awesome! Love Kelly!!!!!
Hmmm . . . a little jealous!!

I'm so happy for all of you!:)

k2 said...

OK, 6th times the charm with leaving a comment- keeping my fingers cross it posts!
Penn, thank you so much for reaching out and asking me to meet up w/you and Miss Grace. You guys are amazing and Miss Grace is most certainly her mothers daughter- totally fabulous!!
Your words made me cry on my keyboard Penny- thank you!
Your doing a wonderful job raising her and I commend you for a job well done!
FYI, I've decided I want to be just like Gracie when I grow up- she brought a smile to my face and that girl is a trip and a 1/2! Looking forward to more meet ups, both at the beach and in the city!
HUGS
Kelly K

Pam said...

ok - I'm officially in total envy of you. At the beach, meeting up with Kelly. What a great vacation!

Hallie Addington said...

AWESOME! So happy for you all!

Cathy Van Duyne said...

Hi Penny
Im Kelly's friend Cathy and I was so touched by your post. It's taken me a long time to understand and appreciate Kelly's journey with Diabetes, but getting there! So glad she can be a role model for your daughter. What a beautiful child! She will thrive and meet all her potential, especially with your wonderful care, and a supportive diabetes community.