Sunday, July 18, 2010

JDRF Re-do



I received an email the other day about the annual JDRF Walk in our area. We have a team. We walk. I like JDRF and what they do. I try and support them by walking and being there and raising some money.

It was the bottom of the email that bothered me for some reason. This is what it said:

About JDRF:
JDRF is the worldwide leader for research to cure type 1 diabetes. It sets the global agenda for diabetes research, and is the largest charitable funder and advocate of diabetes science worldwide.

The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that strikes children and adults suddenly, and can be fatal. Until a cure is found, people with type 1 diabetes have to test their blood sugar and give themselves insulin injections multiple times or use a pump each day, every day of their lives. And even with that intensive care, insulin is not a cure for diabetes, nor does it prevent its eventual and devastating complications, which may include kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, stroke, and amputation.

Since its founding in 1970 by parents of children with type 1 diabetes, JDRF has awarded more than $1.4 billion to diabetes research, including $101 million in FY2009. In FY2009, JDRF funded research projects in 22 countries throughout the world, including more than 40 human clinical trials.

5 comments:

Pam said...

I think you're right - the goal is shock. They're trying to raise money in this troubled economy, so they have to sound as urgent as possible. I really don't have a problem with the statement. It's not how I choose to focus my attention every day, but people need to know the truth about how difficult and devastating this can be. Though I'm not a huge fan of, "nor does it prevent the eventual and devastating complications."

The line about "setting the global adjenda for diabetes research" sounds awfully Big Brother to me. Does this mean that in it's choices of which research to support some avenues are disregarded? I don't know.

Wendy said...

I like it. I'm happy to see printed material sputtering out the reality of this chronic, life threatening, disease.

There are NO guarantees to preventing devastating complications. Even the most vigilant care cannot assure a future without complications like the ones they listed.

I say put it out there in black and white. Let people see the happy, smiling faces of well adjusted people living well with T1D....but do not let the slap of reality become a distant thought.

Amanda said...

It definitely seems to be going for the shock value. I think some people need the harsh reality spelled out for them, but not so much the parents of CWD. We KNOW the harsh reality. We are living it every day. We are haunted by those complications every day. Don't throw it in our faces!

I'm thinking send the shocker paragraph to people who don't know and the Penny version to parents and families!

Meri said...

I'm not a big fan that it says insulin does not prevent the eventual complications. It is like they are saying complications are inevitable no matter what...For a mom with children with this disease...I no likey.

Unknown said...

I am OK with it slapped down in black and white like that...yes...maybe it is a little shocking. They could change the wording around for sure to lessen the "WOW Factor".

I do think it is important that people realize that the disease is SERIOUS and that we MUST find a cure. Just think...we are where we are at with the management today due to the research of the past... research funded in part by the monies raised by JDRF.

So...maybe a little tweaking on the wording, but in reality we are all working sooooo hard to avoid exactly what they are talking about in that paragraph.

Great post!