Sunday, March 27, 2011

Introducing Lucy...

Lucy is my middle daughter. 12 years old, smart as a whip, gentle, kind, funny as all get-out, smiley faced, cheerful, sarcastic, dancer in the kitchen and singer of Broadway show tunes at any given time. That about sums it up. She is also the younger sister of Maddie, who has autism and the older sister of Grace, who has Type 1. I asked her a few weeks ago to just let me know what that was like for her, being the middle of the 'sandwich' so to speak. I asked her to speak whatever was in her heart and whatever she felt. Here are her thoughts. If you care to check her out, she also blogs, at the uber-fabulous www.lucyplease.blogspot.com


And so, here's Lucy...








So hi there! My name is Lucy and you might have heard about me before, you might have not. If you don’t know who I am, I am the sister of Grace and Maddie. As all of you know, Gracie has Type 1, while Maddie has autism. And me? I am a typical teen that you could find anywhere. I like to read, draw, sew, hang out with friends and my parents (not very normal, but I love them too much!), and blog. I have a blog named LucyPlease which talks about fashion, and you can check it out here. But I am not just here to talk about me, I am here just to talk about my sisters. First, let’s start off with the one and only, Grace.

Grace is a amazing person, inside and out. She will talk to you about everything and anything and is a smart as me! But sometimes her diabetes can be frustrating for me and the family. It can be hard for me sometimes because when we are out in places, people stare and think that we are giving her some kind of ‘bad’ thing in her body. And sometimes I can’t deal with stares. They just don’t know how it is and what it is like for a little girl to have diabetes and manage it around the clock, 24/7. I recently was in health class and we were talking about diseases and diabetes came up in the midst. So, like the outgoing person I am, I decided to say something about her. I told everyone that my little sister had Type 1 Diabetes and that she on the OmniPod. And what did I get from the group? Blank stares. They looked at me if I was someone they had never met. They thought it was the weirdest thing ever that someone I knew had diabetes. Also, just having a sister with diabetes. It breaks me sometimes to see her struggle and cry about how she doesn’t want diabetes to exist and how so hard it is. I don’t have this, but I know how it feels. It limits you from so many things in life. Like going swimming, playing outside, eating, drinking certain liquids, and doing all of the fun things we all experienced as a child. She has to come in and check herself before she goes somewhere and has to dose herself for certain foods. Sometimes, I wanna just give her a long hug and tell her that everything will be okay and her diabetes will get better. I wish she didn’t have to deal with it every day after one another. Gracie is one of the most outgoing kids with her diabetes that I have ever met. She is not afraid to tell people about it and share what she really thinks about diabetes.

And Maddie on the other hand, is so funny and smart, I don’t even know where to start. Autism can be hard on everyone sometimes, but it always sometimes can comes out good in the end. Maddie loves Broadway musicals, acting, singing, dancing, watching and collecting videos, and Cheez-its! Yummy! But, it isn’t always ‘happy happy, joy joy’ in here. People stare at her, make fun of her, and just laugh at her sometimes if she says something in school. Me? I have told them to stop staring and laughing, but being the immature teens they are, they won’t. Maddie doesn’t notice who stares at her, but I do. Well of course I do, I am her sister for crying out loud! It’s very hard for me sometimes because people don’t know her, and they just judge her on how she looks and acts, which hurts me. People don’t get autism. They just think it is something to make fun of and say she is so weird, when really, it’s just Maddie being Maddie in life. But my friends respect Maddie for who she is, says hi to her in the hallways, and always talk to her when she is feeling down. They are really true friends. It’s also hard for me because when she has a tantrum or gets nervous, everyone always has to whisper to their friends or tell people about it and stare. It’s always about the staring with autism, because people think they are weird and not normal. So, I just have to help, because that is really the best thing you can do in this kid of situation. Overall, Maddie is by far the best older sister anyone can have, even if I can’t talk to her about boys, fashion, or anything else you can talk to your older sisters about.

And now you can meet me! My name is Lucy and I am a regular and normal teen,who enjoys many things. Some of my hobbies include baking, reading, drawing, sewing, writing, blogging (oh yeah, because it is awesome), and Glee! If any of you watch Glee out there, it is by far the best show ever. I also love acting and singing in front of people and at places. Right now I am in concert choir, chorus, orchestra, the play, and many other things. So you could say that I am juggling a lot of things, but I like when I juggle things, because I know I am involved somehow! Some of my favorite singers include The Beatles, Adele, Florence and the Machine, Lea Michele and Cory Monteith (their voices together are like angels singing in the day), and The Killers. my attitude is always positive and people at school say I should be a cheerleader because I have so much pep in my step! Haha. I love fashion and drawing, so that is what my blog is about. Right now, I have about 65 followers, but there is always room for one more! And make sure you follow this blog, because it is amazing. Well, that is all for me now. Hopefully I made someone smile, cry, laugh, or do all of them while reading this post. So, I will talk to you guys later! BYE!


Lucy :)

She makes me mighty proud. Thanks for your post today Lucy!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this Mom! I am so happy you enjoyed it :)

my sweet girl said...

Lucy sounds wise beyond her years. I think the siblings of children with disabilities learn compassion faster than most and that is a blessing. Lucy certainly has compassion. I like the part where she talks about true friends. Learning what a true friend is can be a difficult thing for all teens and it sounds like Lucy has that all figured out already. Penny you should be so proud of your three wonderful girls.
Yvette

Valerie said...

What great girls you have! :)

Unknown said...

I love LUCY!!! What a great post from your "middle sandwich". She is a gem Penny. She sounds like quite a gal and I love how she loves and supports her sisters. I cannot even begin to imagine her perspective as people stare and make fun of your older daughter. That has got to be difficult ... and yet, she rises to the occassion of supporting and standing-up for what is good and right in this world time and time again.

xoxo

Amy Lederer said...

Love. Just LOVE.

meanderings said...

Oh my, what a smart, intuitive, pleasant, young lady. Lucky sisters to have her!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Reyna beat me to the punch line! :) I, too, was going to say I love Lucy! :) Be proud, Penny!

Alexis Nicole said...

Penny what an outstanding girl you got there!

Lucy you sound like my type of gal! I love fashion and GLEE is my favorite show!!

I live for Arnie :) I will most definitely follow your blog my dear! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thank you guys for all of the sweet comments - they are so sweet! And thank you to everyone who has followed my blog - every follower has a special place in my heart. Thank you again!

k2 said...

I have had the great pleasure of meeting the fantastical Lucy in IRL - AND SHE ROCKS!

Hallie Addington said...

How much do I love this??? A lot! This is so incredibly sweet! Lucy, you have a heart of gold, my dear! You are such a strong young lady!!
Penny- you have amazing girls!! Way to go, Mama!!