Sunday, May 21, 2017

DBlog Week: More Than Diabetes


Yes, I know DBlog Week is over. I'm late to the party with this post. Reason? Life.

We were asked to write about our lives outside of diabetes. Here goes, folks.

I hate to cook
Like really, really hate it. And surprise, surprise, I stink at it too. I cannot cook anything. Oh I can do the basics - make some chicken, spaghetti, boil things. That's where my talent ends. And I am totally fine with it. If I never spent one more minute in a kitchen for the rest of my life, it would be alright with me. I really don't even care how pot roast is made, or how to cook fish. Nothing interests me less than cooking or talking about cooking. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat. It's the cooking I despise. But a WIN for me is that I raised three kids who eat very well, thank you. 

I coupon the hell out of everything.
I have a coupon for everything. I love to save money. I have always thought of coupons as free money and who doesn't love that?! I am not one of those crazy coupon ladies who buy 250 jars of mustard because they have coupons. If I do not need it, I do not buy it. But if I have free coupons for things, I get as many as I can and I drive to our local food bank and give them a donation. There's nothing that makes me happy like a good coupon.

I collect snowglobes.
I have about 300 of them. And I should probably post a picture of them here, right? Alas, as I type this, no photo. I promise to add one at some point. I have collected them since I was a little girl. I have them from all over the world, in all shapes and sizes. And yes, I shake them and watch the snow and glitter fall. I use my snowglobes folks, and people over the house are welcome to shake and touch and admire them all they want. Nothing brings me joy like a snowglobe.

I run a support group for parents of children and adults with autism in the Philly area.
When my oldest child was diagnosed with autism at age 2 1/2, she was the only child I knew with autism. She is 20 now. I thought there should be support for others on this journey, so I joined with other moms to create a support group, online and in person. We have over 250+ members, have meetings, and talk via a listserv. It's one of my proudest accomplishments. Parents don't feel so alone now.

There ya go, peeps. Something other than diabetes.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.






No comments: