Sunday, November 28, 2010

Special Sib of a D-Kid Day - I got 2!



Hey everyone - it's Special Sib of a D-Kid Day!

Introducing......

Lucy





My pre-teen gal who is full of life, love and laughter. Seriously, the girl keeps me laughing about it all. And there is quite a lot to laugh about, frankly. She refers to herself as the 'typical' one and while that might not be funny to all of you out there, but when you have one child with autism and one child with Type 1 diabetes, well, it turns out, your sense of what is funny is turned upside down. So, yes, the fact that she refers to herself as the 'typical' one is quite a chuckle.

She is a wonderful child and always has been. The middle of three girls. Lover of Taylor Swift, fashion, make-up, sewing, drawing and blogging.  Smiles a lot. Easygoing and cheerful. Helpful with everything related to diabetes. Helpful with everything related to autism. And that's a lot to handle, yet she does with grace and poise and acceptance. Above all, my daughter Lucy has a heart of gold, by living with autism and now with diabetes. She is kind to everyone she meets and I love that about her. She is non-judgmental and has learn to accept everyone for who they are. In these times of Middle School vying for the latest and greatest and the peer pressure, my gal stands out for standing on her own two feet and being herself. She is loved beyond measure.



Maddie




My oldest daughter. Soon to be 14 and I can hardly believe it! The one who taught me how to be a mother and how to accept. Accept. Accept and accept some more. I remember those years at age 2 and 3 and the diagnosis of autism. Hard beyond all understanding. Hard hearing words from doctors who said she would 'never' do this and 'never' do that. She has proved each of them wrong. Her spirit is whole, her personality is all hers. She is wonderful. Lover of speedstacking, dvds and videos, all things Disney, and anything that makes her laugh. Charming, sweet, kind, nice, gentle, compassionate. Things they told me that kids with autism never were or never would be. She is amazing.

While she doesn't completely understand diabetes, she loves her sisters dearly. She empathizes when she sees Grace need something. She waits patiently when attention is given to her other sister. She is aware and loving. There is nothing more I could ask her to be. She is herself, truly and wholly.

There aren't enough words to completely express my pleasure
being Grace, Lucy and Maddie's mother. 
Maddie is fantastic.
Lucy is spectacular.
Grace is lucky
I am blessed.

8 comments:

Jules said...

Ah, Penny, your beautiful, beautiful girls and your lovely words have brought tears to my eyes. Love to you all from frosty olde England.xxxx

Unknown said...

First off Penny, I think you are amazing. You have a lot on your plate and I don't think I have ever read a negative or "bitchy" post from you...your graciousness inspires me.

Your girls, well, they are simply wonderful and I honestly think it was learned from your example.

Much love from me to you and your girls Penny. XOXO.

Heather said...

You are blessed! Thanks for letting us get to know your other two girls a little better! :)

Alexis Nicole said...

I totally agree with Reyna youre quite awesome. Its no wonder your girls are too! Thank you for sharing!

LaLa said...

how can I not agree with Reyna and Lexi - you are amazing! Your girls come by it honest! Thank you for sharing your beautiful girls!!

Unknown said...

What a BEAUTIFUL family.

THREE GIRLS...ah, HEAVENLY :)

(I'm not partial or anything.)

Don't remind me that they grow up. I can't handle that yet!

They're gorgeous!

Meri said...

You are blessed! What beautiful girls you have Penny! Each one a gem for sure!

Anonymous said...

This post is warm and fuzzy! You have a wonderful patch of lovely there! ((hugs))