Monday, April 26, 2010

Who feels like this?



I do.

Just finished training on the OmniPod all afternoon and my head is swimming, but in a full-of-knowledge kind of way. It only hurts a little :0)

Our trainer came and spend 3 hours with us and the school nurse (shout out to the school nurse who is a rockstar!) and we programmed, set basals, went with carb ratios that are too high I think and set the rest of the Pod to go. Our gal Grace came home at 3:15 from school and at 3:45 she was wearing her first OmniPod full of insulin. Got bolused for a cookie at 3:50 and we were good to go. She chose her upper backside area to place the Pod.
Hung onto Daddy while I did the insertion, heard the 'click' of the automatic insertion and cried.
For all of one minute. I am serious, the girl is a trooper.
Dried those tears, gave her a high five for being so brave and cool and then she asked to call her neighbor friend.
Went to their house for an hour and was home by 5:30 for dinner.
I gotta wake up at 10 pm, 12 am, 3 am and 6 am to check her basal rates.
I feel like I have a newborn who weighs 60 pounds.
All is well.
I think I can actually do this.
I see the smile on Grace's face, getting through it all, and know I can.
Rock on everyone.

9 comments:

LaLa said...

OMG - Yea for pumping insulin with OmniPod. If it helps - - - I will be up too! I check Nate at 10p, 12a and 3a and we get up at 615a.
We will be together in spirit!!

I'm so happy for y'all! Email me, Call me or Text me with any questions. I think my phone number is on my email so DO NOT HESITATE!!!

Crystall Young said...

I just finished my 1st week of the pod and loving it!!!! Good luck! I know you will enjoy it also!

Meri said...

Congratulations! So happy that you are pumping! Take Laura up on her offer...she is a gem!

Wendy said...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! High FIVE to the pump rep AND the school nurse for doing the training with you. THAT SERIOUSLY ROCKS!

Jen said...

Hooray! Congrats on starting the pump. We will be joining you soon...

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! You absolutely can do this. Happy to help if I can - lemme know!

Amy said...

WOOHOOOOO! Congrats on pumping! So excited for you!

Unknown said...

WOOT WOOT...great description of it is like having a 60 pound new born...you hit the nail on the head my friend.

Thanks for the LOVE on my blog...I added you to my blog roll, I hope you don't mind.

xoxo, Reyna

Lani said...

Our training for the OmniPod (saline start first) is on Saturday! My daughter will be 8 on May 9th. With only 3 days left we're getting a bit nervous. We go live with insulin on May 11 and start the mid-night checks.
Glad I found your blog.